Sunday, October 12, 2003
Politics
I didn't go out Friday night. It was raining so I hung out with 2 of the flatmates instead. Spent the rest of the weekend doing homework/reading, other than a break today to get organic produce at Spitalfields Market, and am in the library now working on a problem set. The first reading Future Think Tanker had for one of her courses was The Communist Manifesto (or at least something by Marx). She said it's odd how at times Marx sounds a lot like Tom Friedman.
Marx isn't on any of my reading lists. When I'm more caught up I'll write about my courses, which are almost all interesting so far. For now, I just learned about the BC Government's tax grab attempt from The Georgia Straight. I'm relieved the government backed down, but totally disgusted that they made the specious argument that The Straight's not a newspaper in the first place. As usual, Vaughn Palmer clarifies what's going on, without the Sturm und Drang of The Straight's press release.
I'm realising I've been out of the loop, news-wise, since getting here. I didn't know Izzy Asper died last week until I went looking for the Palmer column.
