Christina In London Bristol
Wednesday, November 19, 2003
 
Burn
I just learned most of the buildings that formed my high school are, as of last week, apparently a pile of smoking rubble. I think they were going to demolish it anyway. My brother and I visited the building on the last full day of classes in December 2001, before the school migrated to its new site. I said goodbye. But knowing that all the classrooms, and all my old lockers, and the west wing bandroom and the grad council room and the costume room back stage in the performing arts centre where PhDNovelist and I were surly costume mistresses who would sing "leave me alone, please go away, I'm doing fine, just go away" to the tune of the Carol of the Bells... that all that burned feels strange.

Kelowna had much worse and more dramatic fires this year, of course. But I'm a bit sad anyway.



<< Home

Powered by Blogger