Friday, November 14, 2003
Dumbass dumb
Where am I supposed to be right now?
Barcelona
Where am I?
Stansted Airport
Why?
Because Future ThankTanker and I took the bus out here instead of the train to save £3, and the bus hit traffic. The bus pulled up half an hour later than it was scheduled to, we ran to our checkin area, but it was already closed, and had been for 15 minutes. So we paid £40 to reschedule our flight for 6 a.m. tomorrow and are spending the night in the airport.
This, my friends, is a perfect example of false economy.
It would just be a funny adventure (I've never spent the night in an airport, or missed a flight before) but Future Thinktanker's friend is waiting in Barcelona for us and we feel guilty.
We have devised a schedule to occupy us for the 12 hours of airport time (almost 3 down). First up was eating. Then shopping. I now have Body Shop conditioner and a dress to wear to the Canadian High Commission Monday night. (RGH ths keyboard is HORRIBLE and STICKY) I also have two books but have been working on my paparzzi skills, trying to take good shots of the cute bookstore clerk, instead. Next up is drinking and philosophical discussion, and then we sleep in shifts.
I'm actuallly rather amused by the whole thing. I've always hated airports and been paranoid about missing flights, and other than the guilt (there's a chapel here, that's on the agenda for later too) it's actually kind of fun. As people to get stuck in an airport go, Future Thinktanker is first rate. And as epensive travel mistakes go, I know people who have suffered worse (hi Tim).
I think I had more to say, but this keyboard is truly awful.
