Wednesday, November 26, 2003
Should we talk about the weather?
Today I saw blue sky! Not a whole sky's worth, but a little. Hooray. I miss Barcelona, and the beach. Hmm, sometime I will actually get my photos developed and post about the post-Stansted part of my trip there. In the meantime, there's a ridiculous amount of work (simulations, stats analyses, mathematical programming, management reports on all of the above) to be done between now and the start of next term, on top of the reading load for my seminar courses. It's probably a good thing I don't have a serious dance partner for now.
Anyway, to divert myself from Simul8 crashes, I just spent an hour reading non-operational research things, and am feeling like mouthing off about links:
One of the many reasons I hate British Columbian provincial politicians: first the NDP and now the Liberals keep exporting raw logs (link from the Tyee) when they could actually be helping the province realise more long term gains by encouraging the production of value-added products, increasing employment and decreasing the susceptibility to softwood tarrifs imposed by the USA. Duh. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing here.
Related to forest use, kind of, the UN wants to help the great apes survive. I hope it works.
Crap, there was more but I need to get home to get my shoes and be back at ULU by 6. For now, Claire Miccio's letter from Edinburgh was cool, and Jonathan Bell's letter from London looks promising.
