Tuesday, December 30, 2003
I am a bad, bad blogger. And gynecologists are funny but don't highlight the invisible font if you're TMI-sensitive.
Happy holidays, I hope you and yours's hearts are light and troubles out of sight. I am currently Christina in Kelowna, not London. I haven't updated the time zone, so subtract 8.
My erstwhile prom date, who is possibly the most type-A hippy in the world, has a theory about Kelowna. It is this: those who return but temporarily to this backward town, having already got out, are susceptible to The Stupids and The Borings. I am valiantly trying not to catch The Stupids, because I have three large projects due at the beginning of Lent Term. Instead I've come down with a horrible case of The Borings and a bit of another classic Kelowna-induced ailment, The Sleeping At Weird Hours and Not Seeing Much of My Friends Who Are In Town Because We're All Too Busy With Our Families. This is my excuse for not posting, along with food preparation.
But hey, at least I'm not dying. On my way through Vancouver I had a follow-up appointment with a gynecologist to make sure my cervix was free of weird cells. They had in their file that I was in London, so as she was getting me to scoot down to the end of the table and put my feet in the stirrups, the nurse was asking me how I was enjoying living there and how long I was home for. I explained I have a month off, but it's not really off because of the projects due at the end of the break. The doctor came in as I was saying this and said "that's good!". I looked at him quizzically and he said, "you know what happens if you have nothing to do, right?" I said, "you relax and get caught up on sleep?" He said, "No, you die!" and went on to discuss the people who retire and die soon afterwards because they have nothing else to do. I said I wasn't too worried about dying from a month off at my age, but he explained "you're never too young to keep busy." He also said my cervix is looking good (I didn't get to see it on TV this time, sadly) and that they'll probably never need to see me again. Works for me.
My grandfather had another heart attack Sunday morning, but seems to be determinedly not dying either.
I'm headed to Vancouver on the 2nd and back in London on the 7th. On the 12th all my projects will be handed in and I'll be posting again, one hopes, with no residual The Stupids or The Borings.
