Saturday, December 06, 2003
What part of No don't you get?
Just because someone can lead does not mean I should follow. This is what I learned tonight at Crush.
Today was the AU Barrel, which involves the members of the Athletic Union getting very drunk, very early in the day and parading around in funny clothes in the afternoon. London School of Alcoholics. I skipped that. This evening, I went to Crush with Oz, G-Money (another decision sciencer, chose her own pseudonym) and Future ThinkTanker. We started out in the Tuns, and Future ThinkTanker went home earlyish. We stalwart three repaired to the Quad, and the dance floor therein.
I am not too old for Crush. Should I ever get too old to enjoy shaking my thing as part of a gyrating, sweaty group to You Can't Hurry Love, and I Want You Back, and Like A Prayer, and Love Shack, and Stuck In The Middle With You, with the strobe light making everyone look like better dancers than they in fact are, I will be too old, period. I even enjoyed dancing to my "theme song" (according to Oz and G-Money), Dirrrty, and that horrendous Ace of Base All That She Wants song that was overplayed freshman year at McGill. And random songs that had nothing to recommend themselves but a heavy bassline. The DJ was an awful beat matcher. Ça m'est égal.
I did not enjoy the guy who "drank a bottle of wine" and who, after I danced with him briefly, kept surfacing and trying to pull me away to dance with him some more. Oz and G-Money were marginally effective deterrents. G-Money says she has perfected the fuck-off-and-die anti-boy glare, but I am skeptical.
Other things I learned this evening:
- Every 1 in 5 miles of US highways (not interstates) must be straight. It's part of the airfield system, and it was Eisenhower who got that going, if I am remembering correctly
- G-Money is a font of knowledge. She knows the names of the three astronauts who burned up in the Apollo I: Gus Grissom, Ed White, Roger Chaffee. Also, her dad had illegal copies of Animal Farm in Poland in 1983, and can load a Kalashnikov.
- "Herb has a fucking aitch in it." As do hwho and hwhy and hwhat. Hwhatever.
- "IN ARLE ALL DAY. PLEASE DON'T BOTHER ME ABOUT OP. love Jimmy" It was on a white board. Oz erased the N'T BOTHER and the ABOUT OP.
