Friday, April 02, 2004
Brighton, and "V for Vince"
How was I unaware that Helter Skelter was a slide?
When I get to the bottomThe slide was closed today, so Jason and I went on the Crazy Mouse instead. Which was truly crazy. Spinning roller coasters are a fine, fine idea. I shrieked "wheeeeeeee!" around every corner, while my brother contented himself with copious yelling of "aaah!".
I go back to the top of the slide
Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
Till I get to the bottom and I see you again.
Also in Brighton I got cute vegetarian shoes, and wandered about with my brother, throwing rocks into the Channel, eating tapas, and reading street and shop signs in funny voices and cooing over pretty clothes I neither need nor have disposable cash for. Also we flew my new kite on the beach until it got dark. He's at a gig there now, or on his way home, but I just wanted to get some time in with the water. It was sunny. I like Brighton.
After tapas, I was talking with Jason about Vince Fazari, who died a week ago of cancer. I can't really write anything about it. He was 21. Too young. He was strong, and thoughtful, and very, very loved. He radiated sincerity. He's missed.
Honestly, I look at this like war. If this was WW1/2 or 'nam I'd be 19-21: the ripe age for a soldier. Those wars were fought by guys my age and just like my situation, the war was due to forces largely beyond their control. I didn't ask for this war... but it's my war to fight. Often the soldiers were placed in situations with little hope of them surviving, but there was still hope.... it never completely fades.
The cancer can not defeat me.
All it can possibly do is kill me,
But it shall not defeat me.
