Thursday, May 13, 2004
Some of my favourite people are Tauruses
Happy birthday to Oz, and happy birthday to my dad, and happy almost birthday to my mum. I have a paper placemat from wagamama folded up with "G-Lo, Dirrrty & Ozzie Wan Kenobi 13/05/04" written on the outside. Inside, along with an ad for the wagamama cookbook (savour the unique wagamama flavour in your own home), the evidence of our intense postprandial maturity. I still have jetlag as an excuse, and they're both only in their early-mid twenties, so. Grash has this trick in which you write
John Doe
loves
Maleficent Smith,
and then you record the number of occurences each of the letters in loves in the two names, and add adjacent digits until you are left with 2 digits, giving a HIGHLY SCIENTIFIC MEASURE of the strength or compatibility or something of the love of John Doe and Maleficent Smith.
e.g.
1 2 0 3 1
3 2 3 4
5 5 7
10 12
1 1 3
2 4 = 24%
We used this technique to determine who has the largest or most profound or something academic crush, and I win, at 91%. John was stiff competition at 84%, but Grash was merely a lukewarm 53%.
Just in case you haven't already noticed, I am very frivolous. I ought to be commenting on world affairs or the problematisation of Asia or something. But no, I write about silly math games, and get tempted to attend lectures on the Ethics of Fashion just for the blurb:
Although Fashion is a global industry with a global reach, its work practices are often criticized and its very existence is often portrayed as a superficial activity not worthy of respect. And yet we all wear clothes, our fashion education system is possibly the best in the world, and British designers exercise a huge influence on the fashion industry.And yet we all wear clothes
Yes, yes we do.

