Sunday, June 20, 2004
Anonymous commentary on the English and the metal bands
I read this email before we went out last night. Due to the pulchritudinous nature of my flatmates and Vivian, there were a few pairs of guys who joined us at various times. I found myself wondering if any of them had a prior "mine is better" conversation, but they weren't all English.
Subject: not many of those to the pound ;)
You neeeeeed to go find "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. So funny, and very useful. Of course, I read the sex chapter first. It started with the following dialogue:
'How's your book about us english going? What chapter you working on now?'
'The one about sex.'
'So that'll be 20 blank pages, then?'
After which she noted the 'knee-jerk humour' rule, which is pretty self-explanatory, and quite amusing.
Also amusing was the discussion of male bonding, and the things they say while doing it, most of which I had never heard before, like the subject line above (a comment indicating appreciation of a passing woman's bosomly endowment, refering to weight and not money, often accompanied by a gesture of both hands held in front of the body palm up seeming to compare weight).
Even better, though, was 'Don't fancy yours much.' Which is said with reference to two (or more) women, indicating that the speaker can tell which one is more attractive, and giving him the one up on his mate by claiming the more attractive one (never questioning, of course, that he has his choice of any woman he wants).
I read all this yesterday (Thursday). Then tonight I was at a gig with a new friend from work. I look over his shoulder, then say to him, 'Aren't they cute, with the same haircut and all.' (brown ponytail with bangs and obvious blonde highlights) and, no word of a lie, after taking a good look himself, he replies 'Yours is nicer though'.
I didn't burst out laughing, but very nearly. My restraint was made that much more admirable, I think, by his generosity. Though of course he had no choice, being English.
An excerpt from Watching the English from the Independent and another review may also amuse you.
And an SMS from someone who was doing sound at an all-day metal band fiesta yesterday:
How's half ten? The metal is sort of skeeeshraaaalmquiuiuiuggxb. That could just be my ear plugs.
Comments:
<< Home
I think perhaps 'fiesta' is not quite the word you're looking for: none of the death metal bands really owed much to salsa, or any other latin music for that matter.
Now that you mention it, Kevin, 'Cancer' did have a song that might have fit with, but it was terribly hard to understand, even from the stage. Something to do with the shouted growl. If only they'd try a menacing mumble I might have a chance.
Post a Comment
<< Home


