Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Canadian election (in other words, skip this if that's likely to bore you)
Quentin emailed me:
Martin held on. Is this a good thing?
I replied:
It's a much MUCH better thing to my mind than if Harper had won -- the "Conservatives" are too socially conservative, and I think Peter McKay, the previous leader of the PC before they merged with the Canadian Alliance (formerly Reform), is a weasel. I'm looking at the breakdown of seats... happy the NDP made inroads enough that they + the Liberals are 50% and that Jack Layton and Ujjal Dosanjh were elected. Not so impressed with the increased Bloc Quebecois representation. Oh well.
The dollar rose, of course, now that I'm actually making pounds.
Upon further reading, I like that Mark Eyking was re-elected. It's cool that what was probably protest voting in Alberta and BC helped the Greens get funding. And that the total seats won by each party came closer than usual to their proportion of the vote, though the NDP were a bit shafted in that respect. I also think calling the "Conservatives" under Harper "Tories" is an insult to real Tories, but I like Joe Clark so of course I'd think that.
And in the time it took to link in all these stories, the dollar gave up early gains.
Comments:
<< Home
He's special because I sat next to him on a plane once and he told me about how he got into politics and his adventures therein and the three things one needs to be happy. I was impressed with his motives, and he made me feel less cynical about politicians. This is probably a key skill for politicians, but it worked on me.
Post a Comment
<< Home


