Christina In London Bristol
Monday, August 09, 2004
 
It's a nice day for a French wedding.
J and I met during co-op terms in Ottawa in 1997, and stayed in touch until we both ended up back in Vancouver. I'd met J's parents and sister, and her fiancé S of course, but J and I both lead busy lives so when we'd meet up it was usually challenging enough just to coordinate our two schedules. In other words, I didn't know anyone else at their wedding in Paris this weekend.

The first time I travelled alone to a wedding in another city knowing only the bride and groom and the bride's immediate family, at age 19 or so, I called my parents in tears the first night at the hotel because I didn't know my way around Chicago and had eaten dinner alone and wasn't going to know anyone at the wedding, and, and, and, "oh woe is me life is an eternal struggle." (TM Jetset) My very understanding parents called the bride's parents, who hooked me up with a couple of the bridesmaids in my hotel and I had a blast in the end, but I'm thankful I spent my 20s learning that friends of my friends are likely to be delightful people and it's not worth wigging out over not knowing anyone. It helps, I suppose, that I've been to four weddings a year on average for the last five years. I'm very sad to be missing three in Canada this summer, so it was particularly nice for me that J and S chose to get married somewhere closer. I had a great deal of fun being a total social butterfly from eleven a.m. Saturday until 4:30 a.m. Sunday, with a brief break mid-afternoon during which I went back to my hotel and had a nap.

The wedding was supposedly at noon, at the Mairie de la troisieme arrondissement, but after a group of us walked over from J's sister's apartment, there was a lot of milling about in the courtyard and picture taking.


Finally the clerk ushered us inside and upstairs. He gave a very touching speech, as did the mayor-like guy he introduced. They both commented on how obviously joyful the couple and all their family and friends were. I teared up, despite only being able to hear half of what he was saying.


After the ceremony, there was more milling about and much cheek kissing. One of J's many cousins was handing out dragée almonds, and another had a basket of chocolates S had brought with him from Vancouver. J's sister's Texan roommate and I led a long, straggling train of people back to the apartment, where J's family had prepared an informal (and delicious) lunch, mostly Indian-style pilafs and curries. J's mother made sure S's sister (also vegetarian) and I got some vegetable curry, which was super sweet of her.

I walked back to my hotel, and after my nap again walked back to the Mairie for the shuttle to the chateau. It was only ten blocks or so but the trade-off of sorer feet vs. a few Euros for a cab seems stupid until you take into account the many approving comments I got on my dress and hat from random passers by, the best of which was a simple but vehement, "Magnifique. Magni-FI-que." The hat, purchased Friday, matched the dress, purchased in London in May. I'd called J a few weeks ago to get some information and to clear the dress with her.

"Are you wearing a hat?"
"I don't have one... should I get one?"
"Well, the reception's at a chateau, you could wear a hat."
"Ok, I'll get a hat. If I don't find one, I can still come though, right?"
"Of course!"

But I found one:


At dinner I was seated next to Geordy, who's part-way through an INSEAD MBA in Fontainebleau. I think I met one of his former housemates on one of my food court trips in Singapore in May. Everyone at the table knew of INSEAD (which seemed to surprise Geordy), though Yasmina hadn't realised it was an English-language school. Peter explained to her "INSEAD's like Monaco -- a principality that does its own thing." That amused me. I was also amused by the photographer who, after taking pictures of our table, told Hervé (on my left) that Hervé, his partner Babette and I were "à trois" in the photograph. Hervé heh-hehed his approval of the innuendo. Ah, the French.

Along with silly innuendo, the French continue to excel on the food and wine fronts. Before dinner (which didn't start until 9:30 or 10) there were copious hors d'oeuvres and even more copious champagne in the garden at the back of the chateau, overlooking the fountains and a lovely sunset. I mostly hung out with some of J's many French cousins. Dinner was five amazing courses, and didn't end until around 1:30, with the cake being wheeled out just before 3.



My glass was never empty all evening, but I never felt drunk, just comfortable switching back and forth between English and French and fascinated by everyone I met. And somewhat sparkly. I also had a huge amount of food, but the slow pace meant I wasn't full until I'd finished the cake. I'm not sure what I had for two of the five courses, since I was "spéciale" with my vegetarian options, but somehow I ended up with both cassis and citron basilic sorbets in the fifth course. The cake was a tower of choux but also had strawberry mousse, and fruit, and other delicious stuff when served.

But though delicious the food, free-flowing the champagne, and swank the chateau setting, the wedding was so lovely because everyone there truly was fascinating to me, simply by being united in their love for the married couple. J and S did a wonderful job of sharing their joy with us.
Comments:
It helps indeed. Yacob was also a hat purchase enabler in Paris. Enabling skills and/or tendencies towards being a bad influence are high on the list of traits I value in friends.
 
You are a very beautiful woman...pretty boo eyes. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger