Christina In London Bristol
Thursday, September 09, 2004
 
Randomalia
I was struck mute by the horrific events in Beslan. And, more physically, by a really unpleasant flu. I'm hoping to be back at work tomorrow. I'm also hoping to stop feeling I've been beaten about the middle.

Earlier this week I had a craving for roasted green beans, which led me to the very excellent Let's Cook with Meg and Ted. This might be the best intro to a restaurant review ever:
"Terre a Terre - so as far as I can tell from reading other reviews and talking to people about it, the long-term argument is whether this place is an overdone wank, or vegetarian perfection on earth. I prefer to see these not as opposite ends of a continuum, but as two axes in theoretical restaurant space. And sure, Terre a Terre scores about 5 or 6 out of 10 on the wankery axis, but it also ranks about 8 on the good food axis, which puts it easily into "great restaurant" territory."
In other stumbling across things on the web news, I was looking for reviews of David Korten's When Corporations Rule The World (at the party last week one of my professors recommended I read it), and came across the How to Save the World reading list, which may prove useful if I decide to get all idealistic in my use of my new operational researcher skillz (a strong possibility). Googling for reviews of Patricia Schultz's 1000 Places to See Before You Die (which I plan to purchase v. v. soon) sent me here, where Roxanne is making her own list. And Googling Chez Ginette to find my own entry about Paris (I had a fever, the only prescription was memories of being in Paris with a fever -- this is my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I happened upon this review of that restaurant. It's nice to read of someone else enjoying the restaurant and the nearby hotel as much as I did, and I like Mark's writing.

So, yeah. Now that I'm done the degree, I'm not only sorting out what to do with my life, I'm also sorting out whether I should still be posting here. I'm sure things will work themselves out on both fronts, with an ease that mocks my angst on the subjects. Maybe I'll just report the results of Google searches. It will be riveting, I tell you. RI-VE-TING.
Comments:
Googling is great. Please continue, for those of us who don't have time to do all that wonderful "research" (referred to as "useless wandering" by those who have not learned to appreciate detours on the information highway.)

But please, don't waste your time, dollars, or pounds on Patricia Schultz. Many pretentious and expensive recommendations. (Yes, I have been called a reverse snob.) Write your own, better, list. You can do it.

Hope you are healthy again!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger