Thursday, December 16, 2004
Being the super fantastic
I've graduated. Or rather, I've been presented to the director of the LSE, with my last name mispronounced but that doesn't really matter because, unlike when he was reading Grash's name, the O.R. department convenor didn't leave off the key "with Distinction" phrase after my name. So anyone who reads this, please be aware that Grash is the super fantastic and very distinctive and did an amazing job on the project she and John did at the British Red Cross. It's a horrible shame she didn't get the little transformation of facial expression from Howard Davies after he'd heard that before shaking her hand. At least she was wearing super fantastic shoes.*
There were four other departments presenting their students in the same ceremony, so LLM after LLM went across the stage before they got to our department. In his closing remarks, Davies said "I'm sure you're asking yourselves the same question I'm asking myself: Does the world really need so many lawyers? But then, they all seem to get jobs. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective." (or words to that effect) Given the set of ten key tasks to make the world a better, safer, more equitable place Professor Margot Light set us in her opening speech, I reckon the lawyers have lots to do.
My brother said the ceremony made him less keen to attend his (or to do a postgraduate degree? He'll correct me if I'm wrong.) but the PhD robes and puffy caps made me eager to get even more overedumacated. The hats in particular are super fantastic.
It's not clear to me if I'd already graduated before this when they sent our transcripts, or if that's not official until January when they send our diplomas. Details, whatever.
Anyway, it was a lot of pomp and circumstance and getting photos taken and filling in forms and picking up gowns and wearing caps (but not during the ceremony since it wasn't a graduation) for 10 seconds of walking across a stage. Afterwards, though, there was a reception with sandwiches and mince tarts and champagne. We liked the champagne. We especially liked the mince tarts with the brandy cream. Yum, we said. Several times. There was also mingling and catching up with classmates and professors, so all in all, a very good, very super fantastic, very tiring experience.
*If you didn't check out that earlier link, Manolo's shoe blog is the funny.
[edited 5 January 2005 to add photos and the Howard Davies and Red Cross links]
