Friday, December 10, 2004
Which reminds me, I need to visit Scotland again. Soon.
Ardbeg apparently named distillery of the year by Malt Advocate magazine. Oh, and you can bake with barley grist.
"Consisting of barley that has been malted, dried and crushed, grist is the primary ingredient in Scotch. And on Islay (pronounced EYE-la), the grist is often dried over peat, a practice that imparts a deep smoky flavor to most of the whiskey produced in the region.Right. So, to Scotland to get to know if first, and then I can invite it to tea.
"Islay distillers have traditionally used peat-heated kilns to dry the malted barley because there is no coal and very few trees on the island," said Adam Hannett, who works for the neighboring Bruichladdich distillery. "That's why so many Islay malts have such a pronounced smoky taste."
With a mildly sweet, chestnutty flavor, an aroma that declares beach barbecue and a texture that looks suspiciously like wood chips, peated grist is an unusual ingredient — definitely not the sort you would invite to tea without getting to know it a bit better."
- Sarah Doyle Lacamoire, New York Times Correspondent
Comments:
<< Home
Christina,
I am the journalist who wrote this text. It is illegal for you to post my text without giving me proper credit (not to mention the New York Times which has worldwide publication rights to the article). Perhaps it is difficult for you to understand (or maybe not), but writing is my artform and I do not appreciate my words published without my consent. Please either give me credit (with quotes) as Sarah Doyle Lacamoire, New York Times Correspondent, or delete the text. Thank you for your understanding.
Post a Comment
I am the journalist who wrote this text. It is illegal for you to post my text without giving me proper credit (not to mention the New York Times which has worldwide publication rights to the article). Perhaps it is difficult for you to understand (or maybe not), but writing is my artform and I do not appreciate my words published without my consent. Please either give me credit (with quotes) as Sarah Doyle Lacamoire, New York Times Correspondent, or delete the text. Thank you for your understanding.
<< Home


